Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Can You Tell an Alligator from a Crocodile? by Buffy Silverman

This is a brilliant idea for a series. I can't always tell an alligator from a crocodile! I know that there are differences in the mouth shape and probably where they live, but I'm not sure which difference goes with which animal. This book is perfect for people like me (as well as younger kids who are still learning about all of the different animals in the world.) There are cool photos that show the differences between them (the alligator has a shorter, more rounded snout that looks like the letter U, while the crocodile has a longer, more narrow snout that looks like the letter V). There are more differences than I ever imagined, including sense organs and salt glands. There are a couple of pictures that I might see again in my scary dreams (like the ones with lots of teeth or the one where an alligator is stalking its prey) but these same pictures will help make it a popular choice with reluctant readers and curious kids who like non-fiction. A great fit for class and school libraries.


I received a review copy from NetGalley courtesy of Lerner Books.

Find it at IndieBound.

Read it with:
Do You Know About Mammals? by Buffy Silverman
I'd Really Like to Eat a Child by Sylviane Donnio
Alligators by Frank Staub
Can You Tell a Frog from a Toad? by Buffy Silverman
Can You Tell a Bee from a Wasp? by Buffy Silverman

No comments:

Post a Comment